Have you heard the joke that you should not have your home remodeled because; “Your kitchen was good enough in 1954, why mess with it?”
Understandably, many homeowners are wary of hiring someone to come into their home to work when they are not there. You want to know without any doubt that the company you hire to remodel that 1954 era kitchen is honest, skilled, and completes their work on time and within budget.
One way you can be assured that a home remodeler is reputable is to check their references. This would include professional organizations as well as previous customers.
Rose Construction, Inc. has long time memberships in the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), the Building Industry Association of Whatcom County (BIAWC), and the state association, Building Industry Association of Washington (BIAW). In addition, we are members of a highly select group within the BIAWC called the Master Remodelers Council of Whatcom County.
In checking our records, we found that 24% of our customers are previous clients and an additional 10% were recommended to us by previous clients. The total of the two is 34%! That is a lot of satisfied customers who both return to have more work done, and are comfortable recommending us to their friends.
NAHB says to be wary of contractors who:
- Provide credentials or references that can’t be verified. Offer a special price only if you sign today or use other high-pressure sales techniques.
- Accept only cash, require large deposits or the entire cost up front or ask you to make the payment in their name.
- Do not provide a written contract or complete bid. As you to pick up the building permit. In most instances, the contractor is required to take out the permits. Permits are your protection and help ensure that work will meet local building codes.
- Offer exceptionally long warranties.
- Want to do most or all the work on weekends and after-hours.
- Give you an offer that sounds “too good to be true.”
That is a good list of don’ts; I’ll list some of their recommendations here, and if you want to know more, check out the BIAWC website where the NAHB article is posted. http://www.biawc.com/mrc/how_to_choose_/how_to_choose_.asp
1. Plan your project carefully.
2. Interview several qualified registered contractors/ remodelers and solicit written bids.
3. Ask for references and then check them out.
4. Obtain a written contract.
There are many more excellent suggestions – if you want to know more, check out the BIAWC website and read the article! This is excellent information for anyone contemplating a remodel project. What you need is a worry free project that turns out just as you envisioned it. You can also check a previous article written on this blog called Rose Construction Answers Recommended Contractor Questions.