The NAHB has a comprehensive article outlining aging-in-place issues. It is titled “Aging-in-place checklists for home remodeling”.
The sections are:
- Overall floor plan
- Interior doors
- Garage or Carport
Kitchen and Laundry:
- Stairways, lifts and elevators
- Electrical, lighting, safety and security
- Heating ventilation and air conditioning
- Energy efficient features
- Reduced maintenance/ convenience features
- Other ideas
I greatly recommend this article; as you can see from the list of topics outlined above, it is very comprehensive. I am sure it covers any questions you may have if you are considering this type of remodel for yourself or your parents.
At Rose Construction, Inc., we have DyLon McClary, our General Manager trained and certified as an Aging-in-place (CAPS) specialist.