Housing zone.com has a great article that lists what is important in today’s tight economy when it comes to remodeling your kitchen or bath:
2. Tactile appeal through textures – “Lines, colors, and patterns can act as either a point of interest in a given space or a mellow background to a more prominent component.”
3. Fully utilize glass – “Lighted panels of Mica art glass incorporated into the design of the volcanic stainless steel hood, the window in the door, and a glass tiled backsplash shining from behind granite countertops act as pops of color and light against the warmth of wood.”
4. Freestanding and angled tubs.
5. Esspresso and chocolate colors in cabinetry – “Natural finishes—absent glazing, distressing, and overall pomp and circumstance—are now found in many kitchen designs, as simple chocolate browns act as the smooth and understated partner to brighter accents.”
6. Grand scale walk in pantries (my personal fav).
Walk in pantry - can you imagine this off your kitchen?
7. Detailed ceilings.
8. Use of natural elements.
9. A tiered approach to proportion – “The concept of stacked components and graduated overlapping heights was brought to a new level of sophistication in this urban kitchen. Varying heights of the island surfaces, the elevated and overlapping dining countertop, and the statuesque pantry cabinet create asymmetrical proportion“
- Creative, clean, modern look
10. Incorporate inlaid flooring.
Most of us are aware of how much difference adding the right tile to a bath remodel can make. But when it comes to kitchens, tile seems to take a back seat to the cabinets and appliances.
- White kitchen tile with distinctive colorful strip
The use of warm colors and diamond shaped tiles add a nice touch to this cozy kitchen.
diamond shaped kitchen decorative tile
One more example of what decorative tile can do for your kitchen design
Creative use of contrasting tile stripsKitchen tile
So start checking out tile patterns for your kitchen!
This is oue entry for the $30 – $60,000 category kitchen remodel that Rose Construction won a Whatcom County NAHB REX award for.
To achieve our client’s main objective to open up the space between the kitchen and dining areas, we completely remodeled this 1979 kitchen. The new design included widening passageways and installing new white-oak flooring between the two areas, creating a more modern look and flow.
Additionally, stainless steel appliances, custom cherry cabinetry and granite countertops with an under mount sink were installed to improve the modernization. The 12” by 24” polished tiles with a multi-color mosaic pattern were installed vertically as a backsplash to highlight grout lines and complement the new finishes.
The National Association of Home Builders and Remodelers and the Builders Industry Association of Whatcom County awarded Rose Construction Inc. three REX awards. The awards recognize excellence in home remodeling. The company won Residential Remodel – Best Addition in the under $75,000 category; Residential Best Kitchen Remodel – $30,000 – $60,000 range and Best Residential Bath Remodel in the $25,000 – $75,000 range.
Rose Construction Inc. is one of the founding members of Masters Remodelers Council of the Building Industry Association and has been providing remodeling and additions to homes in Whatcom, Island and Skagit counties since 1986. For details call 398-7000.
Of course! Here is a list of the top home renovations that pay off, from an article by that name.
- Wood window replacement
- Vinyl window replacement
- Minor kitchen remodel
- Foam backed vinyl siding
- Wood deck
- Fiber cement siding
The siding renovations would not add as much to the resale value of the house as a well layed out kitchen with up-to-date countertops, sink and fixtures.
Or how about updating that bathroom? A nice tiled shower, new flooring and lav, cabinets and lighting would draw anyone.
Fully remodeled bath
I like the advice in this article called “How to renovate a kitchen“.
“Unlike any other home remodeling project, kitchen renovation encompasses so many things–from the raw to the sublime, from the picayune to the important–that it can easily overwhelm even the most determined homeowner.”
“On the other hand, a fine kitchen remodel instantly raises the value of your home, provides you with a more effective cooking space, and makes you the envy of all of your friends. So, before beginning this tough-but-rewarding project, ask yourself:”
- What are my needs and desires?
- Is it worth putting myself through this? I.E. – work crews in you kitchen for extended periods.
- Deep-down renovation or surface level?
- Can I reduce the cost of remodeling?
Then the article discusses the design layout of the kitchen – the basic shape:
- One wall design
- Corridor design
- L shape design
- Double L shape design (what is that ?!)
- The U shape design.
Check out the article and then get started! Here’s some inspiration for you:
Beautiful Kitchen Remodel
Light cabinets and glass doors open and brighten kitchen
- Could your kitchen look like this?
Well, how about if this was your kitchen? Evaluating your kitchen, its square footage and layout is a start on the path to an awesome kitchen!
I could spend extra time cooking in this kitchen
This photo is from a website full of kitchen design ideas, A Dream Kitchen, of course!